strawberry picking, we brought home such enormous quantities that we couldn't eat all those berries. So, half of the strawberry harvest went into the freezer.
Last week I fancied making something sweet, and what could be more sugary and fragrant than homemade strawberry and vanilla jam?
1kg jam sugar
1tbsp vanilla essence
1. Find a nice wide bowl for your strawberries and sprinkle over the vanilla essence.
2. As they begin to thaw, use a potato masher to break them up and to mix the vanilla in with the strawberry juice. You may need to leave it for a while and come back once they have warmed up a bit.
3. When the strawberries are soft, use the masher to really break them up, leaving you with strawberry slush.
4. Transfer to a large saucepan, add the sugar and bring to a gentle boil.
5. When the mixture resembles lava, bubbles up and cannot be stirred back down, time for 4 minutes only.
6. Remove from the heat and transfer to clean, sterilised jam jars (I am not the sort of person who has matching beautiful jars - maybe I'll be that person someday - so I use whatever's available, and this quantity filled 3 and a half jars).
7. Seal and store for days when you need a little taste of summer.
Also? I'm 36 and have only just discovered peanut butter and jam on toast. This could be a very slippery slope...
More jam recipes:
Plum and Earl Grey
Rhubarb and Vanilla